The 2016 International Builders’ Show was a great place to see manufacturers show off their wares, and feature new technology. For tankless water heater manufacturer Noritz, it was a great place to announce that it has gotten into the boiler market with its new combi boiler.
The CB Series of Combination (Combi) Boilers from Noritz is a year-round, whole-home solution that utilizes high-efficiency condensing technology to deliver hot water to both plumbing and hydronic heating applications, including those in colder climates.
The CB Combi performs at a 95% AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency); that is, 95% of the Btuh input is converted into useable heat, making it an extremely energy-efficient appliance. This fuel-saving performance meets “Energy Star Most Efficient” standards, which represent the EPA’s highest efficiency rating and allow homeowners to qualify for various state energy rebates.
Delivering up to 9.2 gallons per minute of domestic hot water, the CB Combi provides nearly twice as much flow as competitor models. A flow control valve, not offered by competitors, ensures a consistent temperature for domestic hot water demand, regardless of incoming water temperature. This allows greater domestic hot water flow and more precise temperature stability, translating to a higher level of customer satisfaction.
On the space heating side, the Combi accommodates a host of multiple-room applications including radiators, baseboards, low- and high-mass radiant heating (i.e. in-floor, snow melt, etc.) and air handlers.
Two models are available for different levels of demand:
- The CB180DV has a maximum gas input Btuh of 180,000 for hot water and 100,000 Btuh for space heating.
- The CB199DV has a maximum gas input Btuh of 199,000 for hot water and 120,000 Btuh for space heating.
Other CB Combi features include:
- A compact wall-hung package weighing only 90 pounds, making it lighter than a traditional boiler so that a single installer can do the job. Its compact size allows it to take up as much as 80 percent less space than a traditional floor-standing boiler and water heater.
- An outdoor temperature reset sensor that measures outdoor temperatures, allowing the CB Combi to constantly operate at maximum efficiency.
- Different temperature settings for the domestic hot water heating and space heating applications. For domestic hot water, temperatures range from 90 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit. On the space heating side, the range is 100 to 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
- A built-in external pump control that allows for an external secondary or booster pump to be wired directly to the Combi to deliver significantly more BTU’s on the primary loop without sacrificing efficiency.
- Three Austenite stainless steel heat exchangers that deliver superior performance and a longer life and scald prevention technology that ensures domestic hot water safety.
- Condensing technology with low enough exhaust temperatures to allow venting with PVC, CPVC or PP. The use of plastic venting materials — rather than the stainless steel venting required by non-condensing water heaters — substantially lowers costs by reducing installation time as well as the cost of the materials themselves.
The compact size, ease-of-installation, high-efficiency and superior domestic hot water performance of the Noritz CB Combi add up to an all-in-one solution for a home’s heating and hot water needs.