When you take pride in your work, the craftsmanship shines through, and the customer receives a reliable, comfortable radiant heating system. Tim Kuhlman, plumbing tech, Grasser’s Plumbing & Heating Inc., McNabb, Ill., is no stranger to meticulous installs and a job well done. Grasser’s is a family-owned plumbing and HVAC company serving the Illinois valley for more than 60 years.
To put it directly, the Oglesby, Ill. customer at a larger residence—3,186-sq.-ft. main floor; 3,300-sq.-ft. basement; and 1,200-sq.-ft. garage—wanted a professional install that worked. As a result, “The customer is very happy with the boiler install and performance of the system,” says Kuhlman.
As part of the solution, Kuhlman used tekmar 4-way mixing valves to raise the return temps for the garage and basement — the main floor set point is 140 degrees F; the basement and garage set points are 120 degrees F. The garage is set to 58 degrees F, the basement at 65 degrees F and the main floor to 68 degrees F.
Inside the Mechanical Room
• Boiler — Weil McLain/ultra 230 series 3
• Water heater — Navien 240A (not shown)
• Pumps — Grundfos UPS15-58FC, 3 speed circulator Relays
• Zone controls — Taco 4 Zone pump relay
• Piping – All primary and secondary piping done in copper with sweat fittings • • Main Tools Used —Bernzomatic TS8000 torch,
• Valves — Webstone isolation pump valves
• Separators —2” spirotherm air seperatore, Flexconsole expansion tank holder
• Expansion tanks —#60 Extrol expansion tank
• Other—three 12-loop 1” stainless steel uponor radiant heat manifolds and one 4-loop uponor ep manifold for garage.